Dear Interwebs: I’m Proud of Ya.

by Rachael on July 24, 2013 · 40 comments

It was almost six years ago now that I started this blog. I don’t write that much here anymore, and neither do most of the OG’s from my early days. But I still see you, all of you, on our various networks. And I keep tabs, like a childhood best friend who wants to see that you’re still killing it… even if we don’t talk as much as we used to.

When our blogging generation began (at least my “class”), most of us were young, single and confused, and therefore extremely grateful for each other and the e-family we built. We needed each other to survive our tumultuous 20s (and in some cases, 30s).

Over these six years, I’ve watched so many of you fall in love. Many of you get married. A few of you get divorced. Some of you (including myself) did the crazy thing by refusing to settle, turning your (our) noses up at a boring, comfortable life and eschewing the conventional path in the name of courage, adventure and finding Real, Crazy Love.

And now! Now your adorable BABIES are starting to crop up on Instagram and Facebook. Society tells me I should be annoyed by this, but truth be told, I can’t get enough of those chubby cheeks and Michelin Man thighs.

This is to say nothing of the four-legged friends I’ve watched you bring home, the parents you’ve gracefully said goodbye to, the jobs won and lost, the businesses started, and the incredible travels you’ve embarked upon.

Maybe it’s because I’m staring down the barrel of the big 3-0, but every time I log into one of my networks and see a smattering of lovely updates and photos from my old e-friends, I feel so damn proud of everything you’ve all achieved and continue to build: relationships, families, careers, and homes.

We’ve seen each other through loss, disappointment, and heartbreak. We’ve moved mountains to meet each other in person so that we could hug IRL and cement these relationships with people we’ve gotten to know better, through their writing, than we know our own extended families.

I’m so grateful that my 20s were in a time when the Internet and blogging flourished so that I could share that period of my life, and yours, with all of you. Nowadays, our interactions are less in-depth storytelling and more 140-character snippets and adorable puppy/foodie/baby photos with fancy filters; lovely little glimpses into our lives that are now too full to sit down and pour emotions onto a blog page like we used to.

But it’s okay, because it’s indicative of how far we’ve all come. We’re older, wiser, happier, busier. We have found Our People and Our Paths in the world, and those have to be our priorities now. But I’m thankful for said little glimpses that let me check in and appreciate how your lives are coming together.

In summation, I’m all:

And you’re all:

And my e-world remains a wonderful little place I’m proud to call home.

So keep those Instagrams coming, and know that even if we don’t talk as much as we used to, you all have a piece of my heart that will belong to you, and the blogosphere, forever.

1 phampants July 24, 2013 at 8:52 am

And we’re proud of you too!

2 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Aww. Thanks so much, dear!

3 Andy July 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

This is very coincidental (not ironic!), but I happened to look at some old blog entry of mine today. And I had similar thoughts- I knew a whole slew of people such as yourself in my mid-20s and we were all blogging like crazy, and gradually we’ve moved on to different social networks but I still keep tabs, because it feels like I know everyone even if I don’t.
Kinda cool.

4 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Kismet! I love that we’re all in the same place, and still have feelers out for each other. Our e-world is a grand little place.

5 nora July 24, 2013 at 9:04 am

This made me a little weepy. I love this and I’m still so glad that I got to meet you those years ago in DC. Funny, too, as I was just thinking about this exact thing in my head: how most all of the people I fell in love with in this community have split off, gone our own ways, and yet, we were one and we are one. I love that about blogging/bloggers.

6 Erin @ The Speckled Palate July 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

Can I just ditto what Nora said? Because it’s damn perfect.

Also, we’re damn proud of YOU, too, lady. Bloggers are amazing, and I consider myself so lucky to have met so many. And perhaps one day, I’ll meet you, too!

7 katelin July 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm

yep i’d like to ditto this too. because this is the sweetest & just, yes we’ve all come a really long way. so proud of you too. also miss your face xoxo

8 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I miss you toooo! Hoping I’ll be back down in LA sooner rather than later. I’ll keep you posted (also see: come visit)!!

9 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I hope so!! We’ve known each other far too long to not meet IRL.

10 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’m so glad I got to meet you too!! Now it’s time for an SF trip. We’ll take this relationship bicoastal, baby! <3

11 Mattie July 24, 2013 at 9:25 am

Such a wonderful post—particularly because I’ve had these same thoughts as my own blogging has waned and yet the connections from those old, busy days of writing daily posts and commenting on favorite blogs and “friending” fellow bloggers are still there. What an unexpected blessing.

Thank you for the sweet and heartfelt post. :)

12 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks so much, lady. I’m so glad they’ve stayed intact, especially with lovely people like you. <3

13 JENNIFER July 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

You know, you’re right. It doesn’t seem like that much time has passed and yet just five years ago I had tons of time to write and now I have to make time to write. I’d rather make time for other things, like making sure none of my friends feels neglected and keeping the husband happy. Or more like playing with my cat and thinking I should join a Zumba class.

14 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I’ve been to three yoga classes this week. Things change, man. And it ain’t all that bad.

15 Tess July 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

So sweet! Now that you have a kick ass job, we wait for your wedding and baby photos so we can be all mushy right back at you! =)

16 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Ha! I will welcome the mushiness when that time comes. ;)

17 Kelly L July 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

I love this, I think it sums up something that I’ve been trying to put my finger on lately. We’ve all come a long way since we all started reaching out with our words (I think my blog turns five soon?) and we’ve all grown and changed and adapted and, yes, spend less time on our e-homes, but we’re all still there. And I think our relationships with each other have evolved too. I sometimes have a hard time differentiating between my blog friends and, say, my college friends- it feels like we all go way back, and I love that.

I think you more than most have really gone out there and crushed it. I’ve been watching as your career has taken off (not in a creepy way, just in a friendly bystandery sort of way) and the sheer amount of things you have accomplished is mind-blowing. And that’s awesome.

18 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

There is nothing creepy about that! Just makes me damn good to know I have amazing people like you cheering for me, and vice-versa. Love your face, lady.

19 Amy July 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I love this. It was (and is) a really cool experience to come of age with a ton of strangers turned friends. I’m so grateful for all the ways the Internet has helped me find My People.

20 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

“It was (and is) a really cool experience to come of age with a ton of strangers turned friends.”

THIS. EXACTLY. You get me. <3

21 Nashe July 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm

And we, in turn, feel proud of you, too! All the professional ventures you’ve taken and the emotional ups and downs that you have traversed… wow. We may be a creepy bunch but we are a fabulous, supportive and wonderful creepy bunch.

(Also I think it’s cool how I can tell someone else “Oh my friend told me the other day…” and they can never really tell when I’m referring to one of y’all.) :D

22 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Haha, I know right! I remember the old days when I’d have to admit I heard something from a “blog” friend and everyone looked at me all weird. Now that’s totally legit. And more importantly, I don’t really distinguish — everyone’s just a FRIEND now.

23 bianca July 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm

well, this sure did make me smile

24 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

25 A Super Girl July 25, 2013 at 7:26 am

Right back at ya, lady. :)

26 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Hugs!

27 BlackLOG July 25, 2013 at 9:31 am

Perhaps becuase I’m older I can’t reduce my life to 140 characters – I have noticed a drop off of Bloggers – some of my favourites have vanished or crop up only on rare occaisons. I guess I might be the one that turns out the lights at the end of the day as I write my last blog.

28 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

You will be the last one standing and go out in a blaze of glory, friend.

29 Dom July 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I’m totally with you…most people I joined the “blogosphere” with have long since “graduated”. It’s unfortunate because I still want to hear/read in depth about even the most minute details about their days. Alas, at least we had what we had.

But for the love of blogs, don’t you stop blogging.

30 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Hahaha. I promise to keep up the 6x a year posting! I think I can handle that… ;)

31 Kara July 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

This made me to a little fist pump because I’m most definitely not the only one to say that I’m proud of you too! We’ve come a long way, baby!

32 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

We really have — you HAVE a baby!! Just about the cutest one in the world, too.

33 Berrak July 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

I know we haven’t talked in a while but I love this post. Made me smile.

Totally proud of you too!

34 Rachael July 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that. Hope you’re doing well!

35 Julie July 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm

This post made me tear up a little <3 Proud of YOU too!

36 christa August 5, 2013 at 8:33 am

i loved this post! i miss ya around these parts.
it’s been so fun watching the internet and blogosphere grow up. so proud of YOU!
ps – expect pics of my fat baby soon. ;)

37 Alex September 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I was feeling nostalgic for the golden age of DC blogging, so I went wandering and came across this post. Glad to know you’re still out there!

38 Rachael King September 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Aw, thanks for checking in! Glad you enjoyed.

39 Katy (Savvy in the City) January 7, 2014 at 10:42 am

Love this! – Katy (originally of Katy Streams Her Consciousness and A Life Fulfilled: Atlanta – friend of Mirabelle – now of Savvy in the City) :)

{ 1 trackback }