The Love Story

by Rachael on April 2, 2013 · 50 comments

Most of you who talk to me outside of this blog know this little ditty by now. Many of you have even met the incredible man I serendipitously moved in with, and immediately fell for, when I landed in this fair city last spring.

But for the rest of you… well, it’s about time.

In truth I got a little too lucky; people shoot me death glares when I mention how we met. (Actually, Shawn hates that story, since I enjoy telling people that “we met on Craigslist.” Granted, it was in the apartment listings, not the casual encounters, but what can I say – it makes me laugh, anyway.)

It was all very moth-to-flame. I warned myself, I swore to friends that I wouldn’t let his cuteness faze me… and then promptly forgot all of that the moment I moved in. He was too funny, too brilliant, too witty, too sexy (and with just a trace of an eastern European accent – seriously, what’s a girl to do)?

The next few months, quite honestly, should have been captured on film. (Let’s just say Britney’s “Chaotic” had nothing on us.) It was a whirlwind of emotions, of highest highs and lowest lows (all of which were patiently borne by our innocent bystander of a third roommate. God bless you, Brian.)

But we got through it intact, somehow. Eventually we decided to do the responsible thing and date like normal people, so I moved out in September, a whole half a mile away… which lasted all of four months. But it was long enough for us to realize that living apart, while responsible and whathaveyou, was wrong in every way.

We’re now bunned up in an adorable Pac Heights apartment with Girl Cat and a new furry addition:

Please to meet L'il Sebastian.
Please to meet L’il Sebastian.

It’s been such a short, fun-filled, wonderful year, but in that short time, I already can’t imagine what my life would be like without him. I feel like something (fate, karma, call it what you will) was literally dragging me across the country to meet the one person who could inspire me to become the girl – the woman – I’ve always wanted to be. He challenges me in ways that both drive me nuts and that I always knew I would need, and I am desperately, beautifully, satisfyingly head over heels is love with him.

So that’s the story. Sorry for the one-year cliffhanger, for those of you who only know me through this blog… I didn’t want to jinx it. But now that L’il Sebastian’s in the picture, I’m pretty sure he’ll be sticking around.

/schmoop

1 nuttycow (@nuttycow) April 3, 2013 at 4:37 am

Well hoorah for being happy and challenged and in love. Keep at it :) x

2 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I shall! Thank you much.

3 Jamie April 3, 2013 at 7:00 am

The best love stories are always the ones that make you want to vomit. And this, makes me want to vomit. But I’m happy for you. Because I know that feeling. And everyone deserves that feeling. Kudos to you, the man, and the kitties!

4 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

YES! It is so vomitous. Don’t I know it. But somehow vomit-inducing sweetness is okay when it happens to you, haha. :)

5 Sam April 3, 2013 at 7:46 am

Adorable, the story and the kitten! So happy for you!

6 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

But especially the kitten, right? I KNOW.

7 Stevie April 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

I am so incredibly happy for you!

8 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Thank you, lovely lady! Miss you!

9 Marian Schembari April 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

AWWWWW, I love this story! Gotta love a good accent ;-)

10 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

FACT. <3

11 Cyndi April 3, 2013 at 9:19 am

L’il Sebastian! Any love story that circles around to a Parks and Rec joke is meant to be. This was so sweet and genuine. I loved reading it!

12 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm

True story: we just went to see Nick Offerman live, and Megan’s band opened for him, so at the end of the show they closed it with a rousing rendition of “5000 Candles in the Wind”. It was beyond perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-PUW6y4F6c

13 Akirah April 3, 2013 at 9:23 am

Fun! I met my husband and moved in two weeks later. Two days before our first anniversary, we got hitched. When you know, you know!

14 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

It’s so true. And I love that story!! I’m such a sap for whirlwind romances, haha (obviously).

15 Alyssa Pridgen April 3, 2013 at 9:31 am

What an adorable story!! Congrats :)

16 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks, lady love!

17 kim April 3, 2013 at 10:14 am

I’ve always wondered the full story. And I’ve been meaning to tell you that your name for your new kitty is perfect in every way.

Congrats!

18 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’m sorry it took me so long to share! And yes, he and his name are absolutely perfect. :)

19 doniree April 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat their significant other’s friends, and this one — is the BEST. And I’m not just saying that because he offered me really good bourbon upon my arrival to SF last summer. He’s amazing, you’re amazing, and I’m so, so happy for the both of you :) Now, come see me in Portland!

20 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Awwww, lady love!!! I love you so much. We definitely need to plan a long weekend up to see you soon! And of course, you’re always welcome down here. xoxoxoxoxo

21 Kayla @ TheEclecticElement April 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

You have no idea how your love story inspires me, especially right now. My boyfriend of 2 1/2 years just broke up with me and to say I was devastated would be the understatement of the year. People keep telling me you’ll find someone else out there meant for you, but I completely shut that down not wanting to believe it. Strangely enough, your post gives me hope, so I thank you for that :)

And I’m SO happy that you’re happy!

22 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Oh, lady. I know there’s nothing I can really say, because I’ve been there – recently – and I remember it all too well. The only things that made me feel better were working out obsessively, good friends, and copious amounts of whiskey. Keep your head down and keep on going, because as a wise country singer once said,

“If you’re goin’ through hell keep on going
Don’t slow down if you’re scared don’t show it
You might get out before the devil even knows you’re there”

This song also helped me a lot – perhaps it will do the same for you: http://open.spotify.com/track/3X3TWbKIS4ecCQpnDbl2qB

Love you!! If you ever want to talk, I’m rachaelgking on gchat. <3

23 Kayla @ TheEclecticElement May 17, 2013 at 7:30 pm

It’s funny how you and I are very similar in our coping ways-now that I’m feeling decently, I’ve been working out like CRAZY! It’s gotten to the point where if I don’t do something at least everyday, my body gets anxious. And yes, I’ve had myself quite a lot of 3 wise men shots. LOL I’ve also found that dancing helps a lot, too :)

Thank you for your wise advice and song selection-definitely going to check that out!

And I love you too my friend!! I don’t have gmail but I’ve requested you on both of my FB accounts ^.^

24 Michelle April 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Ahhhh….I LOVE this story. I especially love that you met on craigslist. I say let everybody assume it was casual encounters. :)
I am very very happy for you! The cat is ridiculously cute by the way….

25 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

SEE? Isn’t it hilarious?? Shawn does not agree. Which makes it even MORE fun for me, haha.

xo

26 Courtney April 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

That’s wonderful, Lilu!! I’m so glad everything is going so well for yo! :D You deserve every bit of /schmoop in the world.

27 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Aw, thank you so much. I’m not going to argue, I love being schmoop-filled! (TWSS…)

28 Lauren April 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I knew the moment you told me about him that you weren’t going to keep your paws off :) BUT, I’m so glad that you two found each other. He’s a wonderful man and you are an exceptional woman and I can only be delighted to know that you’re in good hands! Only the best for the best!

29 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I know, you didn’t believe me for a second. And rightfully so. Thank goodness it all worked out, and we still got some funny stories out of it! xoxo

30 katelin April 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm

love the schmoop so much. xo

31 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm

YAY SCHMOOP <3

32 Peter April 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Awww. Congratulations!

It’s no Canadian accent, but I am glad it works for you. ;)

33 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hahaha. We can’t all be exotic Canucks like you! ;)

34 Maggie April 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Well, this is just the cutest. I would totally do the same thing and tell the Craigslist story. Cute new kitty! Orange cats are wild…my family’s 13-year old ginger cat still acts like a rambunctious kitten. Prepare yourself :)

35 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Oh he is NUTS. I always had orange kitties growing up, I like the crazy, haha. Maybe because I can relate… :)

36 Becca April 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Just this – <3 you both!

37 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Love you miss you!!!

38 littlemsblogger April 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm

So happy for you & love the new kitty!

39 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thank you, so much! <3

40 Mattie April 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

FINALLY! The wait for this story was well worth it. All the love!

41 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I know, I know, I’m awful! Thank you for waiting until I was ready to share. xo

42 brandy April 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Fact: The first time I saw a photo of you guys together I assumed he was a gay co-worker because no one is that cute and not gay. And HE’S NOT GAY. AND HE SOUNDS LIKE MAGIC. WHICH MAKES SENSE BECAUSE YOU ARE MAGIC AND I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW HAPPILY YOUR VAGINA IS STRUMMING NOW.

TOO FAR?

DON’T CARE.

43 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA BEST COMMENT EVER. I’m going to tell him to make that his bio on everything: “I’m so hot women assume I’m gay.” He obviously would also need a “Blue Steel”-esque profile pic to go along with it.

44 Lindsey April 3, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I never get tired of hearing this story, and you can be as schmoopy as you want to be, because you’ve earned it. And yes, you got pretty damn lucky. You two are fantastic together!! I’m so happy that you’re happy. And I miss youuuu.

45 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I miss you toooo! Come visit again!!! At least I’ll see you in June – two months!

46 Allison April 4, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Hi Rachael! I am so happy you are back! We wrote a couple times when you first moved to the city and we were suppose to meet up! That never happened because life gets in the way. I am so happy that you are happy. What an amazing story. I hope we can catch up in person one of these days. In the meantime, its awesome to see you blogging again!

47 Rachael April 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hi, hi, yes, we failed at that! Hit me up :) Still definitely game for a drink sometime!

48 gemmerzz April 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What’s wrong with Casual Encounters? *smirk* Congrats!

49 terra April 12, 2013 at 7:57 am

I would like to snuggle L’il Sebastian’s orange face off because he is THE CUTEST.

Also, yay love!!

50 Kate @ Suburban Sweetheart April 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm

This is a pretty crazy/beautiful love story, & I’m glad you shared it! I kept seeing his face on Instagram & such & wondered what the story behind him & you guys was. Sounds like SF was indeed calling you home. <3