Rachael Act II: Back in the Habit

by Rachael on March 8, 2013 · 25 comments

Sister Act Rachael

I think the reason it took me so long to return to this place is that I don’t *just* want to write; I want to write well. Sharing with e-friends is great. Recording memories is even better. And being a part of the “blogging community” (at least as it was Once Upon a Time) is the very best of all. But my primary motivator has always been to produce something I was proud of; something that would make people laugh, or at least feel something.

Even though I’ve (finally) been pushed to come back here thanks to a very cool project with Sony (more below) — and I’m very grateful for the much needed nudge — I’m still a bit hesitant because, honestly, I feel like my writing rhythm is gone. Or at least in need of some serious re-discovering. But I suspect the only way to conquer that is just to attack it head on, bull-in-a-china-shop style. (That’s always been the method I’m most comfortable with, anyway.)

So here we go! Fortunately for you, my first posts back here will be quite media-rich, thanks to Sony’s ridiculously fun Unedited 408 Project. They’ve chosen social-savvy people from all over the country to rep their cities in the photographical sense, and I’m thrilled to be their Bay area person of choice. Over the next week or two, I’ll be taking 50 unedited photos of my fair city; things I believe show the true San Francisco. (I hope this doesn’t have to be PG-rated, because the real SF is generally not family friendly — and we like it that way.)

I’ll be leaking a few of the shots here, and then the whole collection will be up for viewing in the Santa Rosa Sony Store (hence the #Sony408 hashtag, for those of you wondering why it’s not 415!) before finally being online for the whole world to see. This will be especially interesting for me, because I am one of the worst photographers on. the. planet. If there’s bad lighting, I’ll find it. I never know when to use the flash, and even my cat has a double chin in my pics. Still excited you picked me, Sony?

No matter how they come out, ultimately, I think  it’ll be a blast. And my ulterior motive is that by the end of it, I’ll feel comfortable blogging (at least somewhat) regularly again. Uber win.

(Please leave tips for beginners below, photogs!)

1 gemmerzz March 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’m happy they picked you. ;)

2 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

Me too! :)

3 danielle March 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’m glad to see you blogging again and am excited to see your photos. Santa Rosa is in the 707 though :)

Much love from the 510

4 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:40 am

Interesting. The shop is definitely in Santa Rosa, and their area code is 408. I guess there’s a couple for the area!

And thanks, lady – can’t wait to share ‘em!

5 Kayla @ TheEclecticElement March 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm

It’s so good to hear from you again girl! Glad to hear you’re alive and doing well AND back in action ;)

I completely understand where you’re coming from; for awhile I’ve felt I’ve lost my ‘voice’ and I still kind of do–I don’t know what to blog about anymore.

I CAN’T wait to see what you’ve got in store for your photo project! It sounds like so much fun ^.^

6 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

Do people even blog anymore? I feel like it’s all Twitter and Facebook… that’s great for conversations, but I want to document memories. I feel that those still belong here. :)

7 Emily March 9, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Ive wanted to get back in blogging again but it has been so long I don’t even know what people want to even read about on a blog anymore. Glad to see you back though!

8 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks lady! I have no idea either, but I’m just gonna do me. We’ll see how it goes!

9 Julie March 10, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I was so happy to see you pop up in my Reader recently :-) Welcome back and I’m looking forward to reading and looking at fun pictures!

10 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thanks, lady! Although I guess you mean “Feedly” now… RIP Google Reader (womp womp).

11 spleeness March 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Yay! You’re back! I think you’re right, diving in is the way to go. You just start.

Best photog tip I ever read was from Philip Greenspun: light makes the photo. At the right hour (dawn or dusk) — the golden hour — even train tracks or a crumpled cup can be striking. He’s got more amazing tips here: http://photo.net/learn/

12 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thank you so much for this, so helpful!! I’ve been trying to take them in natural light, and I’m going out at that magic hour after work, so hopefully I’ll get some good ones. :)

13 Elliot Volkman March 11, 2013 at 11:49 am

I look forward to your poorly lit images :) Really all you need to worry about is capturing something awesome, and I’m sure it will turn out well. You got this shit, yo.

14 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:48 am

We can hope! <3

15 Patrick OBrien March 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Ahhh, good motivation to get my butt back in gear as well. Spent all weekend working on code for a relaunch.

Let’s see those pics, chosen one.

16 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:48 am

Oooo, can’t wait to see the relaunch!!

17 Kate Coveny Hood March 13, 2013 at 4:14 am

Blogging is definitely different now…I think it’s all happening on Twitter…I mean Facebook..I mean Instagram…I mean Pinterest… Seriously thought – there will always be room for good writing! Maybe we just don’t do it every day anymore – leave every day stuff to one-liner forums and save our best stuff for once or twice every week or so. Unless of course, you are handed a cool photography project.

I am one of those photographers with a good eye and very little technical know how. Best advice I ever got it to stick with natural light and turn off the flash (though that means you have to learn how to turn off the flash…)

Oh and HI! Missed you!

18 Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:49 am

I completely agree re: blogging. But I feel like I still need a place for the longer, more important notions in my head sometimes, so this will be it! Definitely won’t be every day, but I’m hoping for once a week or so.

My camera actually has a DETACHABLE flash, so right now my challenge is remembering to even bring it along… natural light all the way!

19 PorkStar March 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Congrats on this new project!!!

I definitely miss your writing. I have somewhere in a box an archive with a bunch of pages I printed out back in the day when I first found you. I read from your very first post up until end of 2011, when I had shut down mine. And all of a sudden, the blog world was different this time around.

I’m a photographer also, and I agree with the above. Go with natural light and if you need to use flash, make sure you try a few times in case a shot is over exposed or not well illuminated. Play with settings, aperture / shutter speed and take note of what settings you have for a particular shot in order to remember it for another one in a similar situation.

20 Kelly L March 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Welcome back!!!

21 Rachael March 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thank you twice, haha! Glad you enjoyed my very skilled Photoshopping :)

22 Kelly L March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

It’s pretty superb.

(I was torn between “superb” and “glorious” so please feel free to take whichever description you feel you like best.)

23 Kelly L March 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm

(also, that image totally just made my week.)

24 Andrea April 1, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Welcome back, baby. xo

25 Rachael April 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thank you, lovely lady. (PS, miss you!)