San Francisco: Day the Third.

by Rachael on April 24, 2012 · 74 comments

Day three in my new city. I continue to be completely enamored with it; the buildings and shops and homes are all so adorable. There’s no way to properly describe how pretty San Francisco is; you just have to see it. Streets of beautiful walk up houses are peppered with indie coffee shops, store windows full of fun displays, and endless restaurants and bars that wouldn’t dream of becoming a franchise.

The whole damn city is just so unbelievably original. There’s nothing ticky-tacky about it – everywhere I look is a business, store or cafe I’ve never heard of before.

My roommates – two 30 year old straight men – keep a kitchen stocked with only fresh and healthy ingredients. They make guacamole daily. The apartment is tastefully decorated in an adult, manly way. These efforts may be designed to win over the ladies, but regardless of intentions, it’s impressive.

The job has wowed me in every way so far. I’m only a couple days in, but by all appearances, Adobe is everything an enormous public company could and should be. My team and manager are incredible – I have found my people, y’all.

Walking around downtown is such a pleasant experience – just like the outer neighborhoods, it’s all so unique. Yes, the major stores are there, but the architecture and city squares are done in such a lovely way that there’s very little feeling of corporate Americana infiltrating this charming little mecca.

There’s trolleys and parks and dogs everywhere and ALL THE AMAZING FOOD. People are smart and friendly, and everyone’s just so happy to be here. Thanks to how plugged in everyone is, I already have a built-in network of acquaintances just waiting to be turned into my west coast BFFs.

Although our 12 hour flight was an entirely miserable ordeal, Girl Cat flopped down on the fireplace mantle the moment we got home, happy as a clam. We’ve had hours of snuggle time in the past couple days, gorging on wine and wet food respectively, and finally watching season one of Downton Abbey to boot (SO GOOD).

And, in true Rachael form, I have brunch plans on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. #allthebacon

I am living out of a suitcase until my belongings catch up with me next week, but that’s my biggest hardship. I miss DC like crazy of course… but I know I’m supposed to be here right now.

My new adventure is off and running, and it’s a damn good start at that.

20120424-113746.jpg

Moving soon? UMoveFree complaints are few and far between.

1 Julie April 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Words can’t even begin to describe how happy I am for you. This all just sounds so spectacular, and so… “you”. I can’t wait to (continue) to follow your adventure. xo

2 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:21 am

Awww, thank you love. You’ve been there (here) since Day 1, too – I’m so grateful to have you along for the next chapter. <3

3 Heather April 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Sorry to hear that your flight there wasn’t so great =/ So very glad to hear that y’all are safe and sound and loving it!! Wonderful to see y’all off to a great start! Can’t wait to read more about it!! Love love love!!

4 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:24 am

And I love all YOUR love!!

5 Micah April 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Aww. Look at Girl Cat all stretched out and comfortable. Sounds like you’re feeling the same way she looks. :)

6 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:24 am

Very true. We’re both pretty comfy here, haha!

7 Rachel April 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Ahh! I just finished season one of dowton abbey too! I’m in love! Why isn’t season 2 on netflix!? I’m glad you’re loving it so far. It sounds amazing.

8 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:25 am

I know, right? I don’t WANT to snag it from torrents… but how can I not?!

9 Stevie April 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’ve always felt that San Francisco is one of the few truly unique cities in the country, even the world. My mum grew up in San Francisco (in the Presidio), our family lived there for a short time when I was young, and I have lots of extended family all over the Bay Area so it feels like a second home to me. I’m so happy to hear you’re loving it – and appreciating how unique it really is!

Sounds like you’re settling in really nicely. That is so wonderful to hear! You picked a good time to move. The weather is lovely and even though summers can be pretty foggy, they’re still beautiful. (And you only have to travel a short distance to find some sunshine)

Definitely get out to wine country when you get a chance. Napa is beautiful. Sonoma is even better. Go across the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito. Head out to Point Reyes for stunning views and hikes. Spend a summer afternoon at Stinson Beach. Visit the Muir Woods…there are so many cool things to see :-)

And one of my most favorite spots, especially during nice weather, is at the very west end of Golden Gate Park. It’s a restaurant called Beach Chalet. It’s practically ON the beach. The view is gorgeous, especially during sunset. In the summer months there is an outdoor seating area, but the indoor area is where the good views are. The food is great and they have lots of local beer and wine, and tasty cocktails!

So excited for you. Congratulations on everything!

10 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:25 am

I can’t tell you how awesome all these recs are. Saved, saved, saved. Now get down here and do some of them with me!!

11 KT April 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’m so happy that you are excited about your new adventure and that you are loving it so far!

I second taking a trip to Muir Woods- it’s so pretty!

(you may need to change your header picture on your blog soon!)

12 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:26 am

I know, I was thinking about that today! Hopefully I’ll find some time this weekend to make a new one. :-)

13 Barbara April 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Glad to hear things are going well so far. I’ve always heard great things about San Francisco.

14 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:26 am

And for good reason – it’s lovely here.

15 phampants April 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm

SF is such a great city. I’m so happy that you found a new place to call home & fall in love.

16 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:26 am

Me too, dear, me too. <3

17 Lindsey April 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

You had me at “they make guacamole daily”. When can I come visit?!?!?!

18 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

Yes yes yes!! I will make you ALL the guacamole. Get out here lady!

19 A Super Girl April 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Fresh guac on the daily? I want to go there. So happy that things are good with this new start, I don’t know that I could do it, so I really admire those (you!) who can!!

20 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

Contrary to all the happiness in the post, it was (is) still terrifying, have no doubt. But I’m choosing to ignore the fear for now and just try to enjoy it all, haha.

21 Peter April 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Awesome. Love how you’re off to such a great start there.

Also love how the kitty claimed her spot already.

22 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

Neither of us wasted any time. ;-)

23 Valorei April 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Yay! So glad you’ve found your people and are loving SF. But how could you not love SF? :)

24 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

FACT. This place is just awesome.

25 doniree April 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’ve never been and something tells me that we’ll remedy that this year :) Congrats on all the happiness!

26 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:40 am

Oh hell to the yes, you better! Set up a price alert lady friend!! xo

27 Leah April 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Welcome!! What neighborhood did you end up in and when can we do happy hour eats and drinks?

28 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:41 am

Thanks lady! I’m in Cole Valley, just east of Golden Gate park. And YES, drinks asap!!

29 Lexa April 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Please be eating many burritos, thank you very much.

30 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:41 am

I tried to take a picture of the one I had for dinner for you, but I literally couldn’t bear to put it down. THAT. GOOD.

31 Drea April 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm

This post makes me so happy. :)

32 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:42 am

Aw. Thanks love!

33 littlemsblogger April 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I love SF and have a friend who lives and is a teacher in the inner-center. It is one of the few cities I’ve landed in and thought I could live here in a heart beat.

Love that your cat has found her place and has already claimed the house as hers.

34 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:42 am

I know, right? Though no one is surprised, haha. Ah, kitties.

35 Pauline April 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I am officially envious-Working for a company you love AND living in San Francisco! You are one lucky duck! :)

36 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:43 am

I believe you make your own luck, but yes, I am stoked! :-)

37 Betsy April 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm

It sounds amazing! So happy for you and the new place!

38 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:43 am

Thanks so much, lady!

39 LBN April 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm

so glad you’ve arrived safe and sound. SF really is the very best place to live (speaking as someone who has called it – and neighboring coastal pacifica – for the last 3+ years). once you move here, it’s hard to imagine EVERY living anywhere else :)

40 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:43 am

I can definitely see how that would happen. It’s hard for me to imagine not going back to the east coast eventually, but who knows…

41 Sarah P April 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

ZOMG. I used to live in the Bay Area. Go to Andronico’s and get a sandwich, and then describe it to me … slowly.

42 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:44 am

As in the market? That’s all I found on the Goog…

43 Teacher Girl April 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I love the happy sound of your writing!! I am both insanely happy for you and insanely jealous at the same time! Glad to hear the flight and your first few days went well. Can’t wait to hear more!

44 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:45 am

Aw, you’re the sweetest. More will come, promise!

45 Kayla @ TheEclecticElement April 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I definitely envy and respect you for making this change in your life-Not many people would, but you jumped right out of your comfort zone and into the Adobe and San Fran Fire! :)

I would expect nothing less from quite the amazing lady that you are!

So happy to hear that you and kitty are doing well and happy with your changes ^.^

46 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:45 am

It’s simple, really; I’m more afraid of boredom than I am of being uncomfortable, haha.

Thanks so much! <3

47 Jaime April 25, 2012 at 12:15 am

Start taking pictures of everyday regular stuff you see. I want to know what it’s like out there.

48 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 12:51 am

I’ll try, haha. Check my Instagram!

49 Melissa April 25, 2012 at 1:05 am

You’re totally making me want to visit San Francisco! It sounds (and looks, from your instagram) gorgeous. It’s so nice that you’ve fallen in love so quickly too, you’re really embracing the new job and city and that’s awesome! Woo!

50 rachaelgking April 25, 2012 at 1:47 am

Come visit!! It is indeed gorgeous. :-)

51 Gina April 25, 2012 at 2:22 am

Welcome to California! We are more than happy to have you here. :)

52 rachaelgking April 27, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thank you! So happy to be here.

53 LesleyG April 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I’m so glad it’s going well for you, and for Girl Cat. :)

54 rachaelgking April 27, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Me too, lady, me too. <3

55 Caz April 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Isn’t California fabulous!?! I loved San Francisco…

So glad you’re loving the major changes and adventure!

56 BigMamaCass April 26, 2012 at 10:02 am

Sooo wonderful! I am so excited for you and to hear about your new adventures!!!

57 SF YUM April 26, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Hi Rachael,

I have just started reading your blog and I found it so funny I went all the way back to the beginning! Welcome to San Francisco. I am so happy you like it here. I moved here right after college and now I’ve been here twelve years! How did that happen? I can’t imagine being anywhere else. There are so many great places and things you must do in this city. If you want recommendations let me know. And, you will find it funny how many of your Boston Massholes are out here in SF. It’s unbelievable really. Great folks. I look forward to continuing to read your blog and I hope we run into one another at happy hour one day! It’s a small city!

Have a great time exploring!!

58 rachaelgking April 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm

First, thank you so much – glad you enjoyed reading! Secondly, YES, be my friend please, haha! I know almost no one here, so I’m on the look out for SF drinking buddies. :-)

59 SF YUM May 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

That sounds like a plan! Let’s get together for a drink!!

60 Tyler April 27, 2012 at 10:06 am

I am glad you are enjoying it there! I love San Fran. All except for the hills lol. Good workout tho!

61 meleah rebeccah April 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

I am sofa king happy for you!

62 Scottsdale Girl April 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Your girl cat and my boy cat need a hook up. They look the same! Love tuxedo kittehs.

YAY for you Rachael!

63 terra April 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm

SO HAPPY FOR YOU. We loved San Francisco when we visited, for exactly the reasons you listed. We felt like every hill we climbed only showed us an even more beautiful view of the city and the bay and we can’t wait to come visit again. It’s definitely one of our most favorite US cities.

64 Eric April 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm

So on Adobe PDF Writer, I was having trouble getting to register Kanjii characters in the input fi… nah I can’t ask a fake question with a straight face. Congrats on the move and job!

65 Sarah April 29, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Welcome to the city!
There is indeed a ton to discover and enjoy – it can be overwhelming at times, but also awesome! Let me know if you need any recommendations!
Fellow Masshole in SF,
Sarah

66 Katie April 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

Wow – sounds like you are off to a great start…and it sounds like you are going to have some fantastic adventures! So happy for you!

67 Hope May 1, 2012 at 7:38 am

Yay! Glad to hear things are going well!

68 Jessica May 1, 2012 at 9:16 am

Happy to hear you are loving it! And yes, please, #allthebacon

69 Kinsey Michaels May 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh my goodness Rachael!!!!! your FB motivated me to come check out your blog. i can’t even tell you how thrilled and excited i am for you. san francisco is definitely a cool city! it has so much character. some say it reminds them of a west coast Boston. you should link up with Becca (free-honey!).
you are definitely embarking on an amazing adventure. all those feelings you’re feeling remind me of my first week out here in California. i basically went without a plan, or any idea where i was going to live, and while the transition was definitely not rosy and perfect, all the pieces made the experience into what it is, and who i am today! i think you’re going to kick ass out there, no doubt! and i’m glad the kitty came with you too :)
can’t wait to see you in las vegas!!!!!! <3 it's been so long!

70 Grace May 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This was such a lovely post to read. I am glad you are enjoying your new city. Welcome to the West Coast!

71 dorothy May 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm

First off: Woot! If I could afford to still live there I would and am so jealous (in the very best way). Second: iSushi in Castro Valley (East Bay) is the shiz. Delish. It’s a hike to get there, but it’s an adventure and SO worth the trip. The Josh is like crack. And Thanh Long has the best flipping garlic noodles ever!!

72 perfectlyflwed May 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Holy ballbags!!!! I don’t read your blog in a long while and decide to check it back out and what the hell did I just step into? This is like some bizarro world where Superman is grey!!! WTF. Well, congrats on the job and move to SF, sorry to hear about the shitty November, and I promise I’ll keep reading more often.

73 Jas May 20, 2012 at 12:05 am

Oh my god. You are New Girl.

!!!!!!!!