Just, Like, ALL the Squees.

by Rachael on April 13, 2012 · 33 comments

2012 is nearly a third over.

Isn’t that just crazy pants Magee?! And they’ve been four of the most insane months of my entire life to boot.

When I moved out of my apartment (and life) with Ben, and into my new place last December, I had absolutely no idea where I’d be right now, or what would be on the horizon. I assumed a lot of change was coming, but I never could have imagined all of this.

Last weekend, I flew out to San Francisco to meet my new team at Adobe (who I am already madly in love with), and find a place to live (success!) We also found an awesome new roomie to take over my apartment here, in the best house in DC , and stumbling distance from the best bar to boot.

A friend hooked me up with an incredible moving company who’s schlepping my few belongings (bed, clothes, TV… yup, that’s it) across the country for a more than fair price, and their customer service warrants about eleventy stars on Yelp.

I have an appointment with a wonderful vet referral on Monday to make sure Girl Cat and I get to California safely, when we fly cross-country on Southwest next Saturday.

[FYI, these are NOT paid links. Just honest thanks for their help and general being-awesome-ness.]

And tomorrow, I pack (read: throw away/donate 90% of what I own).

But tonight, friends, tonight… WE CELEBRATE.

We celebrate what’s been the best five years of my life, in what will always be one of my favorite places on earth, full of countless people I love, respect, and have thoroughly enjoyed the pleasure of drinking with for half a decade.

I know that the fact that it’s this hard to leave is a good thing – if it doesn’t hurt, then it didn’t mean anything, you know?

And just in case anyone doubts how much I truly love this city (and how hard I plan to rep you all on the west coast…)

That's right, friends. It's real, and it's spectacular.

If you’re local, come on out tonight and have one last whiskey with me (thank you Jack Rose for hosting!) Details here.

And every last one of you… I expect to see you in San Francisco.

1 Micah April 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

Love the tattoo. Love the happiness in this post.

I’m so excited to follow you on your new adventures. :)

2 Julie @ Wearing Mascara April 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

*Sniff* I love this… reminds me when I left DC. Such a bittersweet moment… I love the tattoo :-) So proud of you for this next step. Can’t wait to follow along on your journey out west!

3 suicide_blond April 13, 2012 at 11:32 am

xoxoxoxo

4 Ginny April 13, 2012 at 11:32 am

I hope you and kitty have a safe trip. Sounds like you have some exciting times ahead.

5 JustMe April 13, 2012 at 11:51 am

Moving + adventures? Answer: all the things to look forward too!!

6 Jay April 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Love love love the tattoo! Have a safe trip, look forward to reading your adventures with cat girl on the other side.

7 bethany April 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I’m always so impressed with how you grab life by the horns and just hold on! It’s an admirable quality, that you make look easy and effortless, but I know isn’t. I hope that what awaits you in San Francisco is equally rewarding and meaningful, but I honestly have no doubt that it will be. Life is what you make of it, and, I’m honestly a teensy bit jealous at how well you have learned that lesson so early in life. There is nothing you honestly can’t do, if you put your mind to it. Good luck with your travels, especially with Girl Cat… and I look forward to seeing San Francisco through your eyes.

8 MsDarkstar April 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Almost 3 years ago, I left The Frozen Tundra for Just South of Nowhere (aka Cowtown)… No job lined up, an apartment that had been brokered completely via the internet (sight unseen). I packed up 2 cats, a chinchilla and a Russian Tortoise… Had I been blessed with foresight, I would have shrinkwrapped the movers and stowed them in the U-Haul as well. What followed was an 18 hour drive filled with Emo Cat Opera, a rainstorm through the entire state of Oklahoma and a completely unhealthy amount of energy drinks being consumed in an effort to stay awake. Within 15 minutes of arriving, while I was in the office signing my lease, the local graffiti artist “tagged” the U-Haul. Welcome to Texas, y’all.

So, that you have a job and an apartment you’ve already seen, PLUS you know people where you’re moving (I didn’t know anyone when I moved) so you’ll be fine. Plus, the weather where you’re moving is usually pretty excellent. And, well, you’re you so how could it be anything less than awesome?

Safe travels to you and Girl Cat.

9 Kellie April 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Safe travels friend! And I love the new tat! Nice work! You are going to have so much fun!!! Xoxo

10 allison April 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm

congrats a million times over! I now have to blogger friends to meet up with in San Fran – you and Jeanna!

11 Courtney Elizabeth April 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Best of luck in San Fran! Nothing but good times ahead!

12 Ashley April 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That tattoo is utter awesomeness!!! I just wanted to say a huge GOOD LUCK to you in the big move, new job and new life!! You’re effing awesome and you will rock it… I expect to be reading about you in mashable soon enough! So again, GOOD LUCK!!! And the next time I’m in CA (which may be July), your drink is on me!

13 cari April 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I’m so excited/nostalgic for you as you close this major chapter in your life and move onto the next big thing. But mostly, I’m really happy to have another good friend on the West Coast — something tells me you’ll become a lifer!

14 Hannah April 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Have so so so so SO much fun tonight!!!! I wish I could come out and celebrate, too! Instead, I’ll drink heavily for you here in Boston.

15 Grace April 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Congratulations! I am right there with you on all the amazing changes that 2012 has brought. I hope the next two thirds keep getting better for you. I’m excited you’ll be joining me on the west coast. I’m overdue for an SF trip. :)

16 doniree April 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Good luck and congratulations! I am SO proud of you. And always love it when people mark major life events with super sexy ink.

17 nikki April 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I hope San Francisco knows how lucky they are to have you. Loooove the tattoo!

18 L A Cochran April 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Real?

Might want to take the picture without the sharpie next time. ;)

19 spleeness April 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm

What a wacky few months, I am so happy I found you on the net and will continue following your awesome adventure. Congratulations on your new digs & new job! You’re going to go so far. <3

20 Stevie April 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Amazing. So excited for you! I hope the West Coast treats you as well as the East Coast has. We’re so happy to have you!

21 katelin April 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I mean of course I’ll see you in SF or in LA or whatever, my coast. THE BEST. WEE! love the tattoo and good luck in your last week, woo!

22 K8 April 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Many adventures await, my friend.

23 Jas April 14, 2012 at 10:51 am

I am beyond stoked for you. This is some LEGIT shit.

24 Gina April 15, 2012 at 3:18 am

ALL THE SQUEAS! After years of reading your blog, I’m excited to hear you will be just right next door from Sacramento. Plus, California is awesome. I hope you like it!

Good luck with the moving process. Let’s get a drink when you’re all settled in!

25 Betsy April 15, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Yay, yay, yay!! Congratulations! I’m so excited for you! (and also totally jealous!)

Best of luck to you in San Fran!!! :)

26 Teacher Girl April 16, 2012 at 5:54 am

I absolutely LOVE how happy and excited you are!! This is going to be a great chapter in your life, I can feel it. The best of luck with your move. Can’t wait to hear about everything in San Fran!

27 TishTash April 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve abandoned my blog, so you may not remember me (I forgive you), but I do check in on all my old blog buddies. Imagine my surprise and delight and mind orgasm when I read your last post! Welcome to San Francisco! We can always use more crazies…

Hit me up if you want to have a drink or twenty. I’m tiny. It won’t be too hard to fireman carry me home when I inevitably pass out.

28 terra April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

Love the tattoo and so damn excited for all the adventures you’re going to have in San Francisco and I’m sad I missed all the going away activities. Have all the fun, lady!

29 Peter April 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Very much belated congratulations and junk!

30 meleah rebeccah April 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Oh!! I’m so happy for you. Here’s hoping for a smooth move and a nice fresh start in SF. California is awesome. I would wish you good luck at the new job, but you don’t need any luck, you’re that amazing.

31 monkey girl April 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

congrats!!!!
you are living in my favorite city! just posted about it actually.
best,
mg

32 Jessica April 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Congrats! Do what makes you happy! Looking forward to reading the new stories from San Francisco!!!! Cheers :)

33 Ang April 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

What does the tat symbolize? =)