On String Cheese and Yellow Tail for Dinner… and Loving It.

by Rachael on March 16, 2012 · 36 comments

Other than the boredom and potential loneliness, there was another reason I was afraid of living alone. It may sound a little crazy, but hey, it’s me, so that should come as no surprise.

Each day that goes by, I feel like I develop a new weird quirk or habit that I’ll eventually have to break when I live with someone again. (Sidebar: I really didn’t realize just how much time live-aloners spend naked. WEIRD naked, too, a la the “good naked/bad naked” Seinfeld, if you know what I’m sayin.)

Basically, I’ve been worried that I’ll become so set in these odd little habits that I won’t know how to live “normally” with someone again. That I’ll forget what’s not acceptable, like having string cheese and Yellow Tail for dinner, or having in-depth conversations with my cat, or cleaning the bathroom in my skivvies. (OK, that one’s a lie – there are no skivvies involved.)

And I’ve started to LOVE all these things. A DVR to myself, full of Golden Girls, Real Housewives and Say Yes to the Dress? Heaven. Shamelessly eating frozen pizza for dinner three nights in a row? Yes please. Sleeping starfish in the middle of my king size bed? No apologies.

But what happens when I try to fold someone into my life again? What if they put the toilet paper on the wrong way, or hate my shower singing at the top of my lungs, or impose a strict no-nude dance parties rule? Will I balk at the loss of autonomy in my own home, and opt instead to stay free (and single)?

And… honestly… would that really be so bad if I did?

1 natalie March 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

Dude, don’t worry. I live with a roommate, but when one of us isn’t home, the other one is naked. You can still keep your naked habit.

2 Carla Runs the World March 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

Eh, you keep some bad habits, give up some without even thinking about it… I lived alone for 10 years (!!!) and when my husband is out of town I totally pick up my bad habits again (bad TV, falling asleep late on the couch, popcorn for dinner…), but we’ve developed new habits together, which are not bad!

3 Adam March 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

Starfish = <3
Also… toilet paper the wrong way is a HUGE pet peeve!! I don't understand people who can stand it!
As for no-nude-dance-parties as a rule… I have a hunch that you'll never live with someone who would make that rule…

4 Barbara March 16, 2012 at 10:34 am

If the person doesn’t like your quirks, you weren’t meant to live together. Also, I almost always clean the bathroom half naked. I thought EVERYONE did this; :)

5 asplenia March 16, 2012 at 10:50 am

Eh. So you’ll get separate bathrooms. And you make sure you each have time to do your own thing so you can eat pizza while he’s away. You’ll fold someone into your life when you want, and not before. The wonderful thing is, if life is awesome *without* someone, you won’t ever settle for second best. :)

6 Middleaged Runner March 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

I too am living alone for the first time in… EVER!!!!
I feel oddly like we’re right on the same page now. I was sitting in the living room last night, in my knickers, painting my toenails, eating cookies and… singing a little.. I was like “OK, maybe I shoudn’t get used to THIS!!!!” (or should I??)
I also eat legit single person dinners now too. And see NO issue!

7 Lainey March 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’d let you clean in your skivvies. And I’m way more interesting to chat with than the kitties. I’m just sayin.

8 Hope March 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

This is why I encourage him to have boys’ nights every now and then. Then I get to do all of that stuff while he’s out and about. :p

9 Ben March 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

As long as your next roommate is a straight male, he should have no problem at all with anything you choose to do or eat or watch or say, assuming you stay naked. Always stay naked.

10 Teacher Girl March 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

I’ve been known to clean in my Uggs and nothing else, and I have a roommate. Even when you do move in with someone again, there will be times when they are not there, and like another commenter said, I am sure you two will develop new habits together. I wrote a similar post to this one a few weeks ago because I am positive that it is going to take me years to learn how to sleep next to someone again. And how amazing is our super secret single girl behavior? I think it is the best!

11 Meghan March 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

If a guy takes a stand AGAINST nude dance parties, then he’s not the one.

12 sherryrose March 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm

A.MEN.

13 Hannah March 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

“Secret single behavior”… Ah yes. Guilty as charged. But what man doesn’t like cheese, wine, and naked cleaning or dance parties? You’ll be just fine.

14 JustMe March 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

After a while, you stop giving a shit if you’re a “weird, single person” and just learn to be fantastically original. Especially when it comes to eating peanut butter, potato chips and an apple for dinner. ;)

15 shasta March 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

All those things you describe sound an awful lot like common married-people habits. Bad TV? Crappy dinner? Naked cleaning? Yes, yes, and yes.

And I totally caught my Husband having a serious conversation with our cat this morning. He offered no apology or explanation for doing so.

16 doniree March 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m going to tell you right now that any partner who vetoes nude dance parties is no worthy partner at all.

17 Cassandra from TX March 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I went through the same thing!! When I lived alone after my last breakup, I enjoyed it SO MUCH (dancing to my favorite song overandoverandover again! Watching MST3K or Ab Fab episodes every night! And I had string cheese and wine for sinner more times than I care to count), I wasn’t sure I ever wanted to co-habitate again. It took some time and some convincing before I moved in with my new BF (now my husband).
However, if the new person is REALLY right for you, then being alone will become less and less fun, because you’ll want to be with them. And they won’t mind that you clean the bathroom naked. :)

18 kelly March 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Anyone who thinks talking to your cat or naked dance parties or shower singing are bad things clearly shouldn’t be living with you in the first place. Also I feel like the quirks that come out when you’re living alone/single are the quirks that are always there but if you’re not with the right person you have to keep them hidden. So let your single freak flag fly!

19 Jess March 16, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Eh…the toilet paper is a quick fix. What’s really annoying is the toothpaste tube. People just don’t know how to roll the end and just squeeze!

20 Laurel March 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Ok, there is noooothing wrong with you. I loved living alone. I did all those things. Now I live with my hubby and love that too. Sure I miss me old ways, but believe it or not.. When you find the right person you will be able to do most if not all of those things! Keep up the weird girl, we all do it!

21 Emil March 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm

1) Nothing wrong with you at all. I still do most if not all of these things.

2) Whomever comes next will, more than likely, like all of those things and more. Nude dance parties are fun. Nude dance parties IN A PILLOW FORT? Damn near awesome.

22 Paula March 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I think when you meet someone who is right, you’ll want to fold them into your life.

And I say this in a completely non-patronising way (because people have said this to me in a patronising way, so I want to stress that) because I am completely single, have never lived with anyone and am not sure if I ever will. But I like to think that one day that person will come along that I WILL want to fit into my life again. And I have no doubt it will happen for you again. :-) In the meantime, let’s let our secret (and not so secret) single behaviour hang out for all its worth!

23 WendyB March 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

That sounds like a typical dinner for me and my husband. Honest!

24 Rae March 17, 2012 at 2:15 am

I’ve been thinking about this exact same thing all week. A friend of mine crashed at my place last weekend (it was a long weekend here in Melbourne, Australia), and it hit me then that I’ve become really attached to my single-girl-living-alone routine and quirks. It irritated me so much that I couldn’t shower with the bathroom door open, couldn’t do my usual no-pants thing – basically, I just didn’t enjoy having someone else around. It scared me a little.

25 fizzgig March 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

i worry about the same things. I’ve been a live aloner for um, like, 5 years now, so I have a lot of things like this to worry about. But you know what’s even better? No pee on your toilet seat, falling into a cold bowl in the middle of the night cus the seat is up, and cat’s listen way better than a man anyhow.

oh shit, i think ive lost all hope!

Enjoy it while it lasts!!

26 Eric March 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

You can have prospective fellows move into the guesthouse first, then gradually bring them on to the main estate grounds as they prove worthy.

Whoa, I had string cheese for dinner, but the drink was a Starbuck’s style passion tea lemonade with Tito’s vodka (Austin made, super smooth).

27 Heather March 18, 2012 at 12:32 am

I thought the same thing when before I moved in with my bf. For the first year, I pretended I wasn’t craving chef boyardee on Friday evenings with my Say Yes to the Dress, but now we both know each other’s gross eating habits, and being naked is fun! Plus, he is such a peach to sit there (on his computer usually) while I indulge in hours of reality TV every week. You won’t care if the TP is on the right way, just that he replaces the roll!

28 Kez March 18, 2012 at 7:18 am

Hahaha. I know you’ll find someone who just lets you do all those things. I walk around bad naked all the time. I have crazy conversations with inanimate objects and confess weird ass things to my 4 month old baby (it’s not child abuse honest!). I dread the moment when my baby grows up enough that I have to wear clothes everywhere and not be so freaking weird and have to share my DVR with kid shows (husband already resigned himself to the fact that I win ALL the shows on DVR).

29 Maggie March 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Weird living alone habits are the best. Have you seen this article? http://gawker.com/5887719/

The part about special “home alone outfits” is sooo true. I may own a weird pair of cut-off sweatpants with a hole in the ass.

30 Laura March 19, 2012 at 11:08 am
31 rachaelgking March 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

OMG… the farting in song?!?!? I DIE.

32 becca March 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm

i know someone prolly said this already, but all the weird habits you get when livin with someone, those are the one that someone has to learn to love and at the very least, tolerate because that is the one deal breaker you should have for your future relationships. also, staying single isnt so bad. i was single for a long time before i met my husband. got a lot of bad habits that he loves (at the very least tolerates) and sometimes even participates in. :-)

33 clevelandpoet March 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

sort of like how I’m used to doing yoga at home alone. My friend asked me to start going to one with her and I’m like but I’m used to yelling mean things to myself for the harder poses. Or how I have a penchant for (sometimes) ending up pants-less during it. That was probably tmi.

also nobody should impose a strict no nude dance party rule.

34 AlexMac March 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Dude… if someone tries to curb ANY of those habits, they just straight up aren’t worth living with.

35 Jas March 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Do you know why Zoey Deschanel is one of the most marketable forces in almost all major areas of the media arts? She is a strong and confident in her identity as an odd bird. So unapologetic about her quirks, in fact, that she has built an entire brand based on the idea of how OK it is to be a quirky female. Granted, she’s gorgeous; but so are you and being an autonomous, lovely person is not limited to those who have lives like a manicured lawn.

As an odd bird myself, I have found that life becomes easier, both professionally and personally, when you take your quirks and own them. I have this power-phrase that has helped me own and love my respective quirks and rediscover the assertive, sassy, and capable lady in my head – and that is, “come at me, bro.”

“Yeah, I eat frozen food – sometimes two, three nights a night. COME AT ME, BRO.”
“You want to tell ME how to situate the toilet paper? COME AT ME, BRO.”
“When I shower, I sing Michael Bolton’s riff from Jack Sparrow by The Lonely Island because I think it’s AWESOME. COME. AT. ME. BRO.”

I mean… it’s effective.

36 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm

let yo freak flag fly! ps i totally sleep in the middle of my bed taking up as much room as possible.